Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Technology Lesson

Today I taught my lesson plan which integrated technology. I was my first time teaching an entire class and it went really well. I was put at ease right away when the students walked back from lunch and saw the projector on for the lesson they got so excited. Even one of the girls said, "cool we get to use the projector today!" The students were engaged and ready for the lesson before they even took off their coats. Which took away a lot of my initial nervousness. The lesson was for a first grade class dealing with fractions, one half, one fourth, and one third. First we reviewed what the fractions were and what they meant. Then we did a Kidspiration activity with grouping fractions as a class. I created this activity on Kidspiration 2 software the students had pictures of three fractions and there was one fraction that didn't belong. The students had to pick the fraction that was different and move it into another box. I thought the activity was very good it was clear because the students understood the process right away. I think I did a good job engaging and keeping the rest of the class into the activity when the one student was doing the problem, we only had the one computer. I did this by asking the rest of the class what fractions are in the big box and then asking what fraction was now in the little box. My cooperating teacher said that I did a good job of asking questions and I was very enthusiastic and thought I did a great job. One thing I need to work on is having students justifying their answers even if they are right. I did the classic teacher response that I disliked through my school years, only questioning them about their answers when they were wrong. I noticed I did this when I was at the last question and realized that I didn't make any of the students who got it right initially to justify their answer. So I finally asked the student to justify her answer even though it was right. For next time, I need to remember to always make the students justify their answer to increase their learning. We have learned about it again and again in class to always have the students justify their answer if it’s right or wrong because it increases learning and confidence. I was so nervous and so relieved that they got the answer right that I just completely forgot about making them justifying their answers. My teacher said not to worry too much and that good questioning will come with time and experience. Overall I think my first real teaching experience went well and I learned a lot and I am looking forward to next time when I can improve my question asking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan,

Congratulations on a job well done! It sounds as if you are well on your way to accomplished teaching!!

Your integration of technology was seamless and contributed to your students' engagement and understanding of the content (isn't kidspiration wonderful?)Your reflection is particularly well done. You've noted how you engaged the group while one student was working, you've identified one area for improvement, and you are ready to improve next time. Bravo!

Effective questioning is, in my opinion, a challenge for even veteran teachers (at least was for me). I think you'll find that with practice it will become far more a natural piece of your practice. I wondered if you were using Bloom's taxonomy to assist you (unfortunately this one is not the revised taxonomy)?

Best,
Lani

Anne Davis said...

Hi Megan,
I want to say that you are doing a remarkable job sharing your thinking and learning on your blog. I enjoy reading it. I also wanted to share a resource that a lot of us)used when teaching. It was the Quick Flip book on Bloom's Taxonomy. See the link here:

http://www.highsmith.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Production/Search.jsp?storeId=10001&Nu=CategoryId&N=794+1694&Ne=1692&langId=-1&catalogId=10060

It looks like they also have a revised one now. We kept the little book on our desks to remind us not to stay in the "knowledge level only" with our questioning! It was a big help.

Your technology lesson sounded great. I used Kidspiration a lot with the kids. They loved it!

Anne Davis

Anonymous said...

I am so glad the kidspiration worked out! Sounds like the lesson was a poative experience.