Friday, April 27, 2007

Why I love the teaching profession so far

We live in a cutthroat society today that to be the best you need to out perform other to get to the top. All through school my classmates competed and fought over grades to be better then the next person, not to learn but to win. The same goes in the business world where to get to the top you need to be cut throat and competitive, or at least that is what it seems like to me. In so many professions competition to be the best and out perform others is what is required. I was never a competitive person when it came to school so I knew a competitive profession would not be for me. What I was most pleasantly surprised about teaching is there are so many people who are willing to help you become the best you can be and to have the greatest impact on the students you teach. It is not that teachers don't want to be the best, but the difference seems to be is they all help each other to be the best they can possibly be. I think it was said that village is needed to raise a child; well the same goes for teaching students from my experiences so far. From my helpful classmates who have shared their ideas about teaching certain topics or helping students, to the online community from tapped in and those who have commented on my blog. Even with my cooperating teacher and student teacher in my class I did my practicum in, they gave lots of ideas and suggestions throughout the semester and the greatest compliment that I have received they wanted my lesson plans too! I love the willingness to collaborate and work together to bring a better education to our students. The students we teach today are so much luckier then we ever were because the online community expands the amount of teachers that can influence each other. An examples being teachers creating wikis to share ideas, information, and resources with teachers that are in different states or countries! There are many more examples about all of the wonderful resouces teachers have created to help others in their profession. This community of teachers makes you feel like you are not alone when you are starting something new, when the rest of the world seems to be caught up in competition.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so agree with your statement --
This community of teachers makes you feel like you are not alone when you are starting something new, when the rest of the world seems to be caught up in competition.

I am glad you were in my class this semester. I have enjoyed getting to know you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan,

Thanks dropping by Possibilities Abound to leave a comment-- I'm hoping you know that the link I left was never meant to suggest that you weren't practicing effective questioning, but an offering of a resource that became valuable to me.

This online community of educators is pretty special isn't it!? The writings of the community and the their willingness to share have profoundly impacted my continued learning and transformed my former feelings of isolation into those of collaborative involvement for the good of all--

Will you continue to contribute to this community with your blogging? I hope so; you have so much to offer!

Best wishes,
Lani